Never Grow Up

Katie - Western Springs, Illinois

Never Grow Up

Adults are always saying that children are growing up so fast or too fast. I have had many family members and family friends use this expression when talking about me. They say how much taller I’ve gotten or how mature I am, but they never realize how much more complicated life has become as I grow older. I think that sometimes the best way to handle a tough situation is to just look at it simply, like through the eyes of a young child. The straightforward, honest perspective of kids can really change the way you view something. Therefore, I believe in never growing up, well at least not completely.

Several years ago, a great-aunt of mine passed away. My parents gently told my younger siblings and me of the sad news; they also explained how we were going to have to go to the wake and the funeral. My sister, who was about five or six years old at the time, asked my mom what a wake was. My mom explained it to her the best she could, saying it was where people come to say their final good-byes to the person who has died. Being pretty young, my sister said she understood and told us that the wake was a going away party for the person who had died, like someone would have if they were moving. My mom got all teary-eyed again. The way my sister had viewed something that is so sad in such a positive way inspired my family to be strong through the tough time. Although her thoughts were not exactly correct, she managed to shed a new light on the situation. Her naive, five-year old comment brightened up the depressed mood in our house a little bit and reminded my religious family that in a way, our aunt was moving off to a better place. Taking things for their literal, simplistic meaning is a wonderful gift that children have. They appreciate and love even the smallest of actions or objects, that older people often take for granted.

Not only do kids tend to tell it like it is, they also live more carefree than teens and adults. I have three little next door neighbors that are always up to something fun. Whether one learned how to ride a bike or their all just playing with sidewalk chalk, they really seem to love whatever it is they are doing. Watching them enjoy their playtime, makes me realize that taking just a little time out of even the busiest of schedules to have some fun and be a kid again is pretty important. I believe that keeping that little kid inside of you when you grow up can make a huge difference in your attitude towards life. (462 words)