Being An Athlete

JD - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: sports, work

For as long as I can remember, I have been playing sports. Whether it was picking up a bat and a ball, or more recently, a lacrosse stick, sports have been an essential part of my life. They are the reason I wake up every morning and go to school. Because I know that in a few short hours I will be out on that field, ready for another day of work. I believe that being an athlete is not a description, but a way of life.

I have tried every sport I can in my 16 years. From swimming to basketball, baseball to football, and even soccer, I have tried my best to at least give it a shot. Recently a new sport has come up as my favorite. Lacrosse. My first taste of this sport came on the frozen Drivers’ Ed parking lot with wind chills of -10 degrees and snow flying through the air. I honestly believed that I wouldn’t make it another day. I stuck with it and came out a better athlete.

We played many games during the lacrosse season and lost only one. I truly believe that that loss was our best game. Our opponent was New Trier, one of the top programs in the state. LT also has one of the top programs, so I knew this game was going to be a battle. It was cold and raining harder than I’ve ever seen it rain, yet everybody was still pumped to play. This would also be my first game as the starting goalie. As the game went on, I realized I would have to play my best to pull out the victory. We fought long and hard, but we still came out on the losing side of a 5-4 score. I gave it my all and we still couldn’t get the win.

That is the great thing about being an athlete and playing sports. We will have one, maybe even two games against New Trier this year. I have to work harder in the weight room and on the practice field, but that is just what an athlete does. One I pass my high-school days I know I will never give the privilege of being an athlete. Because I know that the desire to step back out on to that field and fight one again will never leave me.