Charles - Western Springs, Illinois

I have always found music to be a large part of my life, and I’m sure a lot of other people feel the same way. Whether it’s through iPods, the radio, a CD, or even an old record player, music has always had an influence on me. I believe music is a positive force in peoples’ everyday lives, whether they realize it or not.

Music is everywhere all the time, as we live in an audio-loving world. For example, when I wake up in the morning I have my CD alarm set to whatever song I want, which gets me up and gets me ready for the day. During the car ride to school (or really any drive) my parents put on their preference of music. This is especially true when we go on long drives on vacation. My dad usually puts on what will make him more comfortable during the long drive, and what will keep him awake. If I take the bus to or from school, there is always an iPod or radio on. It shows how much kids keep music in their lives, probably without them even realizing it. As for the school day, unfortunately there is no allowed way that myself and other kids can listen to music. Even if we were allowed to have music on in classrooms while we worked, the teachers might choose the music, leaving us with little or no way to listen to our music preferences. When I’m with my friends outside of school, things change. We always listen to the music we love. Since most of us like the same genre, I’m always hearing something preferable to my tastes. Music is all around us. A few examples are at sporting events, commercial buildings, movies, and restaurants. Sports games always have music that pumps us up to root for our team. You also hear music in commercial buildings like stores and malls. Those buildings have softer music, but not extremely boring music either. It is simply used to keep us focused, which is why music is such a good marketing tool on commercials as well. A lot of the time, restaurants have music that is attuned to what their theme is. As an example, Italian restaurants play catchy Italian songs. It also depends on the place. For example there is “swing” music in Oakbrook instead of the “bubblegum” music found in McDonalds for the little kids, and instead of that bubblegum-pop music, places such as the Nike Store in Chicago deal out hard rock and hip-hop. We even hear music in Church! Music also plays a part how I do my homework, whether I’m working alone or studying with friends. The genre is chosen more specifically to what were working on. Music like Aerosmith or Coheed & Cambria would not be my first choices when studying a more difficult subject like Geometry or Chemistry; instead I would listen to artists like The Beatles or Bob Dylan. I also see how music changes geographically when I go on a trip with my family and friends. For example in Arizona near the Grand Canyon, instead of the predominant genres of rock and hip-hop here in the Chicago area there is a majority of Native American flute music. In Canada there are much more Folk and Celtic songs played. Each group of music seems to fit in perfectly with each environment.

As it seems to me, music will always be a major part of my life and the lives of those around me, no matter how much my tastes change. It also seems life would be very boring and uninteresting without music, as well as difficult. Music has gotten me through tough times, and it has been a part of some great ones. It’s been there wherever I go, which is why music is what I believe in.