Hard Work

Katie - Castle Rock, Colorado

I believe that hard work allows anyone to succeed in anything they set their mind to. My life is essentially based on the above sentence: I do everything to the best of my abilities, no matter what the cost. The last two years of my life I have slaved over hours and hours of homework every night, plus the added complication of basketball 3 nights a week. None of the sleepless nights and mental exhaustion has been for fun: All go towards my ultimate goal of attending Duke University.

I have always possessed a desire to attend Duke, for as long as I remember. When every other little kid was running around announcing they wanted to be a vet or policemen, I was the one saying I wanted to be a cardiologist and attend Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. It just so happens that my Dad worked adjacent to the “Beef: It’s what’s for Dinner” place and he would occasionally pick up a cow heart for me to dissect. I know it is slightly repulsive, but dissecting that bloody cow hearts on our kitchen table are some of my most cherished childhood memories. Today, I am willing to do anything and everything to make my childhood aspirations come true.

The ethic of hard work didn’t just come out of the blue. My dad is the epitome of hard work, growing up the steel worker neighborhood of Pittsburgh. No one in his family had ever gone to college, and it was assumed he would eventually work in the steel mill like his father. However, he vigorously played football and kept his grades up, and by his junior year in high school had scholarship offers from schools such as Georgia Tech, Pitt, and North Carolina State. He continued to work hard throughout college, and eventually became an All-ACC right guard and received his Bachelor’s in business. Today he lives in beautiful Highlands Ranch, CO, with a beautiful house and job, a lifetime away from where he grew up. Everything he has ever obtained was because of how hard he worked, and his will to never give up.

Everything that one obtains in life is directly related to how hard one works. Anyone can get anywhere, even the unreachable, if they are determined and work hard. I hope that someday I can follow my Dad’s footsteps. Our end destinations will be different, but the journey and effort we put into it will be the same.