The Sound of Feelings

Katie - LaGrange Park, Illinois

The Sound of Feelings

When I saw the quote “Music is what feelings sound like.” I immediately identified with it.

I started playing the piano when I was 7 and I’ve been playing ever since. Every time I play, my mood is reflected into whatever I am playing. When I’m mad the notes are loud and disconnected. When I’m nervous the music is faster and almost shaky.

When I am sad even the happiest song sounds like a funeral dirge, and when I am at ease I hit all of the notes right and I can better convey the composer’s intended message, because my emotions are not conflicting with them. I believe that music gives someone the ability to convey their emotions without using words.

When composers write music they put in crescendos, and write the music a certain way. So when someone plays it, the composer’s emotions are heard through the playing of others. Composers write a lot of the music about how they feel about their childhood or their country. In some songs composers will use phrasing and other musical marks to try to describe their home country.

Even listening to popular music, if one listen to the music behind the lyrics you can always tell whether the song will be happy, sad, or if the song is about the singer feeling angry.

Most people don’t usually listen to classical music anymore. But I sometimes listen to the classical CD’s that come with the music books I have. When I’m sad I try to find an uplifting and fun song usually with fast notes and a lot of trills. If I’m feeling mad or anxious I find a song that’s calm and slow. Listening to one of the songs almost always changes my mood. I begin to relax and feel more like the mood of the song.

Music can describe every emotion, sad, happy, angry, nervous, wonderment and almost every feeling. All kinds of feelings are written through songs. Just hearing the beginning to a song and most people can feel the mood. They know whether they should get up and dance or if they should sit and just listen. I find that music is easiest way to express myself.