I believe in milk

Jane - La Grange Park, Illinois
Themes: legacy

I believe in milk.

When you’re born, it’s the first thing you taste. Though after a few years this milk is substituted with that of a cow, we still grow into that liking, taking your first drink out of a sippy cup, not once thinking of what is being imprinted into our minds.

What is a childhood without coming home to warm chocolate chip cookies and a cold glass of milk? Childhood is to stuff them as fast as possible with your grubby hands at just the right pace that can only be alleviated with the cool drink running down your throat.

When I was in Bible school, I learned of the land Moses needed to travel to – a land flowing with milk and honey. Each one is perfect component for the other – one rich in nutrients and the other of luxurious sweetness. That is what paradise is composed of.

Adolescence is to realize that you no longer need milk, and that you can drink whatever soda you want, but choosing milk instead. Maybe others don’t really like the taste but I still do. It’s cheaper than pop anyway. Sometimes I might still buy a cookie in the cafeteria though it’s not the same.

Adulthood is remembering the past and maybe sneaking something to drink here and there and although people might look at you funny you know they’re wrong and continue to revel in the dairy liquid. I know that it’ll keep my bones strong while theirs are worn away by stress and fatigue.

Old age is being able to drink all you want and have no one criticize you because you’re old, and although they might roll their eyes behind your back But you know the secret fountain of youth and that is what passes your lips as you drink and the memories come floating back like lost ships at sea that have been found.

Milk is timeline of our lives, no matter how insignificant it may seem, it carries many important memories for me, and perhaps for yourself as well. I know that when I am on my deathbed, I would never want more than a last sip of milk.