Little Words, Big Meaning

Yoonhee - Athens, Georgia

I live by many beliefs, but one belief seems to stick more than others. This belief is “Words are the most powerful weapons of appreciation or destruction.” I know this belief I live by through first-hand experience. I hope to see others learn this belief and live by the belief too so the world may be better.

When I was growing up with my older sister, I seemed to forget at times that I had to live, share, and be around my sister twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. As a little child, we fought constantly. I know and she knows that we both were at fault for fighting, but we always made up. When I was little, I could not understand the horrid feelings that came with the word hate. I thought hate was one of the worst words in my vocabulary as a five year old. Finally, I thought I was pushed to my limits when my sister and I were fighting. I ended up saying those three little words to my own sister: “I hate you.” My sister and I did not talk to each other. At age five, one hour seems like years. Finally, I would put a little message for my sister saying, “I want to talk.” Seeing as we shared one room, we could not avoid each other. We finally met and sat. Once again, three little words that seemed to have no meaning changed the situation: “I am sorry.” At a feeble age, little words seem to mean so much. Even today, I know not to use hateful words with so much power because in the end, I could never hate my sister. She is always there for me, and we will live and grow old together. My sister and I always sit and look back at our childhood together. Sure, fighting was definitely in our memories, but the good outweighed the bad. The time we got to spend together was priceless.

Even at age fifteen now, most people may say that words are meaningless and cannot hurt, but I disagree. When I am having a bad day and need to vent my anger, my sister seems to be there. When I ask for help, my parents are always there. Anyone at anytime is always there for me, and yes, even my cats are there for me. Simple talks can make the worst day turn for the better. Overall, words can affect someone positively or negatively. The strength behind words can hurt, pain, and even kill, or words can help and save. All words have meaning. Size does not matter for words. The feelings with words are important; therefore, words are the most powerful weapons of appreciation or destruction.