Making a Differance

Anna - LaGrange, Illinois

I once read a story about a boy who saw another boy being bullied across the street and decided to help him out. The boy picked up the other boys books and wondered why he had so much stuff. By the time graduation came a couple years later, they were the very best of friends. On graduation day, the boy who was bullied was giving the class speech and thanked his best friend. He had all his stuff with him that day because he was going home to commit suicide and he didn’t want to have his mom clean out his locker. His best friend’s kindness was the reason he was standing there. This story shows what a simple act of kindness can do for someone.

In the 6th grade, my classmates and I were in religion class and our teacher showed us a movie about impoverished children all over the world. I remember seeing a little boy with his ribs sticking out because he was so skinny. After class I was thinking about the movie and how messed up and depressing the world is. How can one person make a difference in the world? I was determined to find out. That summer a couple of my friends and I got together and ran a mini camp for kids with all the proceeds going towards charity. Over the last four years my friends and I have continued this camp so we can make donations to feed children in third world countries. This is, I feel, a good example of how everyone can make a difference. Another way may be small acts of kindness.

There have been many times in my life when a small act of kindness has made my day. I remember one time I was having a horrible day and I dropped my books. Someone who I didn’t know stopped in the hall and helped me pick them up and was really nice about it. That, believe it or not, turned my whole day around. Even a friendly smile to someone you don’t know very well can cause that person to fell good about themselves.

I believe that everyone can make a difference. Whether your Oprah Winfrey and raising millions of dollars for charity, standing up for someone, giving an extra wide smile to someone in the hall, or doing the dishes for your parents. Everyone can make a difference, and it’s up to each of us to decide what we can do with that power.