Change, the Inevitable

Pamela - Brookfield, Illinois
Themes: change

Things, as well as people, constantly change in our lives but there are many people that don’t like this. I, on the other hand, strongly believe in change. For a long time in my life, I didn’t want anything to change, maybe because I liked how things were or because I was afraid how my life would be affected. I used to live in Cicero about five years ago and I loved my life there. I had a nice house, many friends, and a good neighborhood. I never thought about change, and frankly, I wouldn’t have wanted any. One day my parents told me that we were going to move. I hated the idea of leaving my “perfect” life. I didn’t want any change so of course, I argued with my parents a lot but it didn’t do any good. Their decision was already made. They said they wanted me to get a better education and promised I would like the new neighborhood. I wasn’t too sure about this but what else could I do? A couple of months later, we moved to Brookfield. I had to go to a new school and since I didn’t know anyone, I had no friends. I would hate the thought of going to school each day because that meant I would have to sit alone again or do things by myself. The first few weeks were horrible. I spent half my time thinking about how bad my life was and the other half thinking about what I could’ve been doing at my old house. I didn’t think things would ever get better but thankfully after a few weeks, I made new friends and things started to get better slowly. Also, my grades shot up and I started doing better in school.

I never understood why my parents wanted to move until then. They had said that we needed change in our lives but I hadn’t known why. Ever since then, I’ve believed that change in very necessary in everyone’s life. Things aren’t going to get better if they don’t change first. You can’t just keep everything the same forever because what you think is perfect may not be because you haven’t experienced anything else. I learned that it was important to take risks and try new things because something good might happen. Though sometimes change may not seem necessary or good, it will help things move along and gradually start to get better. I’m not saying it’s easy, because believe me, it wasn’t. Moving was possibly one of the hardest things I’ve had to do in my life but now that I look back, I know it was worth it. I made new friends which I still have to this day and I’ve gotten really close to them. Now I can’t believe I didn’t want to move in the first place. I’ve learned that change isn’t bad at all and that taking risks is definitely worth it in the end.