Tradition

Tom - Western Springs, Illinois

Six billion people walk this earth today, each unique in their own way. Many things make these people different but above all the thing that separates them most is tradition. I believe in tradition. Traditions are events that I can look forward to every day in my life, whether they are small such as taking my dog on his afternoon walk every day or larger traditions like having the entire family over for Thanksgiving dinner each year. In life almost everyone has a certain tradition that makes them, who they are, an event that brings joy and or grief to them each time it rolls around.

Traditions bring others and me closer together, whether it’s the family and I at Christmas, close friends and I getting together to watch Monday night football, or complete strangers and I at an annual concert such as Lollapalooza. There are many different types of traditions in my life and every one of them makes me who I am.

The event that I believe is my most important tradition is Thunder Baseball. Every summer I get back together with some of my closest friends and we go out of state to play in two or three baseball tournaments. The thing is, I don’t even like baseball anymore, and that’s what I love about this tradition, that even though I have lost interest in baseball over the years I can still have a great time playing the game with the right people in the right environment. I look forward to this trip every single year for the great memories that I know I will bring home. The team has brought me so many memorable moments, such as when the parents were singing karaoke at the bar, where I’m pretty sure they had a few too many drinks. Another memorable moment was when all of the kids snuck out at night and went to the local McDonalds, which was luckily open twenty four hours. Thunder helps me keep in touch with guys that I have known for my whole life and allows me to have an awesome time for a few weeks.

The reason I believe this tradition is so important to me is that it describes me in the best way possible which is someone, that no matter what, always wants to have a good time. No matter how much I lose contact with the game of baseball itself, I will never lose contact with the guys I grew up with, and I will always have time to play a few games with my buddies and share some stories and some laughs and be a member of Thunder Baseball.