We Take The people In Our Lives For Granted More Than We Realize

Elyse - Burr Ridge, Illinois
Themes: family, gratitude

We Take The People in our Lives for Granted More Than We Realize

If one has never nearly lost a loved one, there is not a chance that they can understand what it feels like or what it makes you think about. Rather than saying my mother and I were unfortunate enough to nearly die over the summer, I will say that we were fortunate enough to survive a dangerous accident. And because of this, I have come to believe that we, as humans, take the people in our lives for granted more than we realize.

On July first of this past summer, I was at my lake house in Michigan with my mom as I had been all summer. From a suggestion I had received from my dad via phone call, I decided to use this particularly empty and boring day to practice driving our speedboat with my mom. We got into the boat and I drove us around the lake one time. Facing straight forward, I accelerated to about thirty-five miles an hour, and the boat caught a large wave perfectly. We rocked up dangerously to the left side, and the entire boat flipped over barrel-roll style.

From that moment until the moment I resurfaced from underwater, all I remember were the thoughts and fears that flashed through my mind. Contrary to popular assumptions, I was hardly scared for my own life. I was completely preoccupied with fear that I had lost my mother. The first word out of my mouth when I resurfaced was “mom”. I had barely given myself a chance to look for her, when I screamed her name. All I could think about at that point in time was what I would do if I had lost her. Until she came out of the water completely unscathed, I was without breath and feeling.

Though I suffered the worst of our injuries, the experience was more about my mother through my eyes. When I look back on the accident, the memory I revisit most is that of what I thought and felt in those short seconds that I could not find her. I thought about how I was not ready to lose her, and that it was too early for her to leave. I felt that it was my fault, and that I would never forgive myself for what I had done.

I believe that we take the people in our lives for granted. I never knew how lucky I was to have my mom in my life until I nearly lost her. And because I have always considered myself very family-oriented, I have realized that we can almost never appreciate our family members enough. They play such an important role in our lives that we sometimes forget that they deserve to be treated as such. I feel that it is easier to take them for granted than we realize.

As well as a learning experience, I feel that my accident gave me a second chance at life, and a second chance at appreciating the life of another.