Jon - Athens, Georgia
Themes: work

At the beginning of ninth grade, I had not had not known how to study or do homework because it came so easy to me. Whenever I went home after school, I never spent more than an hour of homework and studying and homework together at any time. Once classes began to pick up, I was shocked by the number of after school hours. I did not know what to do. After I got in the rhythm of school, I was doing more than an hour of after school work and had no time at all. On Fridays and Saturdays, I had to deny time with friends in order to complete my work on time. I worked harder and harder everyday. At this time, I hated school. I regretted going home at 3:30 because I knew there was more work to come. The stress of this was overwhelming and it got to the point to where I just stopped doing it. I did about half of the work that was given to me. I knew that this was wrong but I couldn’t help it. I was not used to it. I decided to do something about this predicament but did not know what. After I thought about it a while, I realized the answer was simple. I was having no fun. I could not believe I went through all that trouble just because of lack of fun. I went home that afternoon with the thought of time for me in mind. Once I got home, I relaxed. I watched television and a Cherry Coke. This situation was better for me so far. I did homework as I watched Seinfeld. I was living the life. From then on, I realized there had to be time for fun and relaxation. I kept this in mind with everything I did. It made life so much easier and homework became part of the routine. I did not regret it as much as before but it was still homework. This year has been very much the same. I now keep a mini refrigerator full of Cherry Cokes and the full season of Seinfeld on DVD in the player. George Costanza still helps me finish my work to this day. Always remember, work hard but play harder.