Katherine - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe that music defines who you are. I believe that everyone has one song that tells a story about him or her and describes who he or she is.

My entire family has loved music for as long as I can remember. I think I feel very strongly about my belief because of that fact. I’ve been listening to music that my parents listen to since I was born. The first concert I went to with them was when I was five years old. Music is a very important part of my life and my family’s lives.

Music allows my mind to take me to a different place. It takes over my thoughts and takes my worries away. Music allows you to disconnect yourself from your life for just a little while and connects you to the lyrics of the song. On the other hand, maybe the song doesn’t have lyrics, but you connect yourself to the feelings and emotions in the rhythm.

People may listen to many different types of music, but it is all the same when it comes down to the song that defines you. Depending on whom you are and what type of person you are, your type of music may change. The story within the music, however, does not.

I believe that everyone has a life song. You have one particular song that you connect to above all others. Perhaps you don’t know your song yet. Alternatively, maybe you know your song and you can’t get enough of it. I know I love to listen to songs repeatedly until I get sick of them. However, I cannot get enough of my life song, my favorite song, which tells about my life. I have found my life song and it connects to me in many ways. The lyrics tell a story about me, and my life. This song talks about life and people in life, who aren’t necessarily perfect. It truly connects to me, and my life. The song is entitled “You Only Live Once” by The Strokes.

Music has taken over my life and really is my life now. I’m sure it means a lot to many of you too. Eventually you will all find the song that defines who you are. I know I have.