A Simple Mistake

Court - Athens, Georgia
Themes: setbacks

Mistakes can be defined as an incorrect, unwise, or unfortunate act or decision caused by bad judgment or a lack of information or care. When mistakes are made, it can impact the life of one or many. The degree of seriousness usually dictates how the repercussions of the mistake impact those involved. Sometimes it can be a really big deal, or it can be a little blip on the screen. Time and place also play a part in determining how life-altering a mistake can be. What may be a gut-wrenching mistake for a child could be of little or no concern for an adult. It is all relative. Because of this, and my belief that all people make mistakes, I believe that mistakes should not define who a person is, but rather the type of person they may be. How one chooses to handle the repercussions of a mistake says far more about the character of a person than the actual choice made in the first place.

Not so very long ago, an acquaintance of mine, made a life-altering mistake. While out with some friends, he decided to go to a party. While there a few buddies of his were smoking weed. He made the decision to join them. Within several minutes of the “fun” that they were all having, the police showed up and raided the party. Unfortunately for him, he and his friends were arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and being under the influence of a controlled substance.

My friend’s poor judgment resulted in his having a permanent police record, on file for people to see. He has damaged his parents’ trust in him to do the right thing. Some people will now question his character, assuming that he is a “stoner”. Certain opportunities for his future have been jeopardized. His dreams to attend certain schools or certain jobs that he may have wanted, will no longer be there for him in the future.

Despite all of the punishment and disappointment my friend is facing, he chose to rethink his lifestyle, changing those things that brought him to this place. He decided to accept the necessary reprimand, be positive, and move forward with his life.

My friend is a good person. He is someone that I can trust. He is someone that I can always depend on whenever I am in need of something. He simply made a mistake. He will not become a bad person just because he used bad judgment and decided to smoke weed. My feelings toward him have not changed one bit. He is still my friend. He is still someone that I can trust and depend on if I ever need him. He is still a good person.