this i believe

Nathan - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that someone should never quit when the going gets tough because the hardwork will pay off later. This belief has come to me through life experiences.

While I was in 7th grade I was very focused on athletics. Unfortunately, I broke my ankle during baseball that year and I was sidelined for a month. During this time, I had to go to physical therapy and work on regaining strength in my ankle. I had to go twice a week for three weeks. These were the most dreaded days of the week for me. After every session I was ready to strangle my personal trainer. But I knew in my mind that hard work now would pay off in the future.

Just a couple of years after my physical therapy was finished the hard work had paid off during LT freshman basketball tryouts. There were going to be twenty-eight players on the team. Everyone else and I knew the first twenty people that would make the team. So whenever the coaches were looking at me I had to work even harder just to get my name in the front of their minds. After the last day of tryouts had ended the coaches called us to the sidelines and read off the peoples’ names that had made the team. Fortunately my last name is near the beginning of the alphabet so I didn’t have to wait a long time for my name to be called. I heard my name and I knew that I would have to work ten times harder then all the other guys on the team to get any playing time. The playing time had costs, after every practice I could barely walk because my ankles and knees were so sore. During the season I had gotten the chance to start because I worked until there wasn’t a breath left in my body while some of the other starters had just been coasting. The hard work I put in paid off then and now I have a chance to play sophomore basketball.

In addition there is one person has influenced my beliefs, other than what has happened in my sports career, and he is my brother Bret. He didn’t get the best genes in our family. He has horrible knee and has shoulder problems, which restrict his athletic performance. He is only 5’9”, even with these setbacks my brother never stopped playing the game he loved, basketball. What my brother lacked in height he made up with muscle strength by working out everyday. He is the strongest person I know. Bret’s work ethic has really shaped my beliefs and how I look at an obstacle.

Some of my life choices haven’t been the greatest but through my willingness to never quit and by following my brother’s examples, I have been able to overcome my injuries and mistakes.