Effort is Essential

Adam - Lagrange, Illinois
Themes: work

I believe that with some effort anything can be achieved. In my life I have experienced this belief in many ways. There are two main ways this stands out in my life. These two things are sports and engineering.

Playing a sport requires a lot of effort. It requires determination during the season and during the off-season. I have been playing volleyball since I was in fourth grade. During the season I always play my hardest weather I am in practice or in a game. Volleyball requires large amounts of energy, especially if I want to play as hard as I can in tournaments that consist of playing at least four matches. For me to be able to play my best in all of my matches I must be properly conditioned. To become conditioned also requires putting forth my best effort. When we run suicides or do other types of conditioning such as calisthenics I try as hard as I can so I can get the best results. During the off-season I must also use effort. I must participate in summer camps such as the one offered at my school and when those end I must find another way to remain active.

I plan to go to college and work arduously in becoming an engineer. To be an engineer you must use a lot of labor and thought. In the class “Engineering and Invention” I learned a very important lesson. That lesson is to never give up on any idea. With effort I found out how to make something work using trial and error. In that class I was working on something called a maglev train. A maglev is a vehicle that is repelled into the air by magnets and in this case they were moved with propellers. I started to get a little discouraged and frustrated when my project would not work, but I kept trying and eventually I got the project to work and won the competition the class was having. That shows how frustrating engineering can be, but when I kept trying I succeeded.

Effort is something that is necessary to life. If nobody attempts to do anything, then nobody would be alive because effort is required to find food, or build shelter. Effort is required to live, but putting forth great amounts of it can make an individual successful and essentially happy.