Power of the Mind

David - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: work

I believe in the power of the mind. I say this because I feel it is true and it helps me overcome obstacles throughout my life. These obstacles are mostly found when I am playing sports or trying new things. The phrase “If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything”, impacts me because in sports it helps me reach my highly set goals.

I will never forget the time when got a new personal record in the 1 mile race. My time was 4:49 and I just couldn’t believe it. The whole race I just wanted to quite, but I envisioned the pride of being the first one to break the string that stretched across the track. I owe that race to the sheer power of my mind because I wanted to give up that entire time, but I kept on going. The moment its over you are overwhelmed by self accomplishment because you know you did something good and for my race you immediately look back and think “how the hell did I run that fast”.

I also believe that your mind is so overpowering that it can make you do things. I think this because along with running, I participated in an event called pole vaulting. Now I will admit that I was pretty good but I do owe it to my mind because half the time I was scared to vault the selected height. Now the true reason I could jump and didn’t back down was because my mind took out all the danger and it sent me a message saying that I wasn’t going to stop running until I cleared that bar that was 11 feet in the air. Once I was in the air I thanked my mind because I get the relief that everything played out okay and then you soak in the fact that you will later on become conference champ.

I believe that your mind is a very powerful tool when it comes to sports. If you don’t believe me, let me quote the old sports saying “sports are 10% skill and 90% mental”.