I Believe that Understanding Can Lead to Spirituality and Peace

Jason - Bloomington, Illinois

I have always felt a connection or a sense of unity between all things on some level. This feeling finally began to make sense to me when I began to read others’ essays and I began to think about it. Essentially, it began to make sense that reality by definition includes all things that are real and without an external agent to define it, reality must be self-defining (Sort of, but not entirely like, a computer program that refers to itself in order to continue executing itself). According to this idea, all parts of reality, including each of us, must take some role in sustaining what exists and contributing to the evolution of the universe. The ultimate collective unity of all of this would be the entity that is and controls all of reality, what some might call “god”. One of the people who influenced my belief system was Christopher Langan. In part of his paper, the “Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe”, Christopher Langan describes an illustration from the renowned physicist John Wheeler’s exploratory paper, “Beyond the Black Hole”, which involves a “U” standing for universe with one end of the “U” affixed with an eye that is watching the other side, Langan states:

“…the eye stands for the sensory or cognitive aspect of reality, perhaps even a human spectator within the universe, while the eye’s perceptual target represents the informational aspect of reality. By virtue of these complementary aspects, it seems that the universe can in some sense, but not necessarily that of common usage, be described as “conscious” and “introspective”…perhaps even “infocognitive.”

Since reality is a system that must be self-referential on many different levels due to the idea that reality cannot refer to anything external to itself, it seems to me that reality may well be in some sense be self-conscious.

This reasoning left me to believe that maybe if we gave up the idea that we are fundamentally independent from each other, there would be less selfishness and less disparity between the haves and the have-nots. Since group mentalities can sometimes lead to conflict between the interests of different groups, perhaps there would be less conflict as well. As once stated by Albert Einstein:

“A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest- – a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is kind of a prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.” (New York Post, 28 November 1972)

Thus, I believe that if people believed in their unity there wouldn’t be as much creation of arbitrary differences between groups and that the world would be a better place.