The Importance of Honesty and Trust

Joey - LaGrange, Illinois

I have been lied to before, and I know it can really hurt the morals and personality of a person. I believe in the importance of trust and honesty because they help develop positive relationships. Trust allows one to be able to accept others in a positive way. I think that telling the truth proves that you are a fair and loyal person. By doing this, one will be more accepted by their peers because they know that their secrets are kept with a safe person. On the other hand, if one is not trusted, people will never fully enjoy the company of this person.

Honesty and trust are an important part of bonding, for they are a necessity in any personal relationship. One must be able to share their secrets with someone. I once got in trouble for something I did not do at school, and the principal thought I was lying when I wasn’t. This experience really hurt me: I was not believed. When someone is not trusted, it can really lower their self-esteem because they are missing part of a relationship.

However, I have also experienced the other side of a lie: the part in which a person is actually lying or exposing someone’s secrets. Once, I lied to a friend about the night before and why I wasn’t home. He didn’t believe me, breaking his trust in me. From this, I know that lying does not get you anywhere. Even when I tell the truth, my friend only occasionally believes what I say because he expects me to lie. I treasure honesty because it is important to be trusted and respected by your peers.

In my life, I have seen people, including my parents, lie to me, and I know it is hard to cope with since they were not being honest. Once, when I was a young boy, my parents made up a cruel lie about TV. They told me that TV made your brain rot, and I took it literally. I stayed away from TV for most of my toddler years. Today, I know it was an obvious lie, but deep inside, I think differently about who my parents are under their skin.

In a situation like this, I now understand that a relationship cannot fully develop to its peak because this lack of honesty and truth can create a physical barrier between two people, one that may never be fixed. This knowledge has shaped my beliefs, and it makes me want to tell the truth so I do not do to people what has previously happened to me. I understand that if you want friends and to be liked, you must be honest and trustworthy. I know that relationships are held up high from the building blocks of truth and honesty. Without these, relationships will tumble back down to the ground where they all started in the beginning.