Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

Deena - Western Springs, Illinois

I am sure everyone has been in the situation where they are crammed with stress and everything seems to be going perfectly wrong. Too often we think pessimistically about the difficulties we encounter that we make it worse

When I was little I used to play AYSO soccer. My favorite position and only position I would ever play was goalie. Back when I was six I was pretty good. The first game I ever let a goal in I was extremely depressed and couldn’t forgive myself for letting myself and the team down. A couple of weeks later I let my second goal in. After that I couldn’t get past the thought that I just wasn’t good anymore. I managed to convince myself that I was terrible and would never stop a goal again. And just like that it happened. I never stopped another goal again, and therefore chose to give up on being goalie all together. Once my goalie position ended, I shortly after decided to quit soccer all together. While soccer was a short career for me, it was a very eye opening experience for me.

I am positive that through this story it is clear that you can psych yourself out extremely easily. By thinking that I had lost all of my soccer skills I made myself truly not have any more skill. I think the problem is that you start to think negatively about what you are doing. And once you start thinking that much, everything goes down hill from there. The only way to get anything done properly and with the least stress possible is to be calm collective and think about your overall goal. If I chose to just relax and take each ball as it was kicked at me, then I probably would have succeeded much more often than I did, being never.

Things will get rough. You will want to give up on things on more than one occasion. But the thing that is most important is that you understand failure does not have to mean defeat. I believe that psychological mind games control your future more than you would ever think imaginable.