Parents

Jamie - Athens, Georgia

In the past I have learned from experience that you should always tell your mom and dad you love them. I always try to do this before leaving. Whether it be to go to a friends house or before you hang up when talking on the phone.

Growing up I told my parents I loved them occasionally but never as a ritual. This belief is also joined with never walk away angry. I always knew I loved my parents but didn’t think I had to tell them all the time. When I was about eight years old, my mom and I went for a drive to run some errands. While driving we got in a fight about something silly. Later that day she took me to a friends house. And of course, because I was mad I didn’t say I love you, or hardly even say goodbye. After being at my friends house for quite some time, I realized I forgot my toothbrush. I just figured I would call her. But when I called there was no answer. I called and called, but, again no answer. I was so worried and felt guilty for not saying goodbye. I thought something happened. Finally, she called back and told me what had happened. She just left her cell phone in the car and couldn’t hear it ringing. After that incident, I thought I learned my lesson, but apparently not. My sister and I are very close and one day she was taking me home from school. When I got in the car she told me a story about a young boy, who she knew, died in an automobile accident. Then we got into a stupid fight about our allowance and she took me home and drove off. I was so mad I just slammed the door and stomped off. About and hour later I called her and got no answer. I immediately thought of the automobile accident. In the end she was fine and nothing happened. But I believe that scared me enough to learn my lesson.

With these two lessons, I have learned and come to believe you should always tell your parents and loved ones you love them even if you don’t think you do at the very moment. And in an angry situation, try to stay calm.