When One Door Closes, Two Doors Open

Ryan - western springs, Illinois

I believe that when one door closes, two doors open. This means that if something in life does not work out the way you planned, then it always leads to something better. Even though some things in life may seem terrible, and you may feel like you will never get over them, I have discovered many times throughout my life that there is always at least some good that can come out of every situation.

One of my first experiences with this lesson came in sixth grade, when I found out that one of my best friends was moving to Colorado. I was extremely upset and angry over this; I couldn’t even imagine that things would ever be as fun here without him. By the time that he finally left in the middle of the summer, I had become very uncertain about how things were going to be.

Although I certainly could not see it at the time, there was an upside to my friend’s move that I would later be grateful for. His being gone had forced me to become closer with my existing friends and to make some new ones, and this has been a definite positive in my life, as I am still close with many of those friends today. My friend and I have also kept in touch since his move, and I have gone to visit him several times. Although it seemed horrible at the time, I now realize that being separated from my friend had some positive results for me in the long run.

Another important event that strengthened this belief of mine came a year later, in seventh grade. My school’s basketball tryouts were coming up, and I was feeling pretty confident that I would make one of the teams; I had been playing basketball for eight years, gone to numerous summer camps, and played on many different teams, so I figured that I had more than enough practice to impress the coaches and make the team.

My outlook became far less optimistic, however, once the tryouts began. I was surprised at how much everyone else had progressed since I last saw them, and by the end of the week, when the teams were announced, I was not surprised to find that my name was not on either one of them. This left me extremely uncertain about what I was going to do next, since basketball had been the sport that I had focused on the most.

After a month or so of thinking about my next move, I decided to try something completely different: tennis. I had never really played tennis before, but had always thought that it looked fun, so I figured that it couldn’t hurt to give it a try. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made, as it soon became my favorite sport. I went on to play for the L.T. team freshman year, and I now focus a lot of my attention on it.

It is out of these circumstances, when things initially seemed hopeless, that some of the greatest changes in my life have occurred, and it is why I believe that when one door closes, two doors open.