Hardwork Gets You Want You Need

Nicole - Brookfield, Illinois

Friday night is my least favorite time of the week. It’s a bad feeling, knowing that I have gotten through another week of school, and I don’t get to go home and enjoy the weekend. After a long day of school, it’s far from the top of my list to hustle around a kitchen for an additional four hours. No, I don’t enjoy going to work, but I do enjoy getting paid. I believe that earning something is better than having it handed to you.

Most teenagers don’t want to work hard to get money to pay for a movie or to buy new clothes. However, I feel bad asking my parents for money without having done something to earn it. It would be so simple to just go up to them and say, “I want to go to a movie, can I have twenty bucks?” If I were to do that I would get nothing out of it, except for twenty bucks. When I have earned the money for helping someone else, I have a feeling of self accomplishment.

Every year in school it is made clear that cheating and plagiarism is not tolerated. There is no fulfillment in taking an “A” for someone else’s work. When I finish working on a really long and important project, it’s the equivalent of finishing first place in a race. There is no better emotion then getting a good grade on something that you have spent your valuable time working on.

Working to get things done for yourself teaches one how to be responsible. It’s obvious that one is more careful with the money they have if they worked hard for it. There is a small chance of wasting hard earned money on frivolous things that you don’t really need or want. If I have spent four hours making thirty dollars, I am not going to the store the next day to blow it on CD’s and games. I would give a lot of thought to how I spend that money, because not only would I have wasted the reward I had for the labor I provided, I would have wasted those hours as well. It makes me proud to be able to buy nice things for myself.

My transcript will follow me all the way through college. Having good grades is something that can always be depended on. There are better chances of getting into the college that you want and pursuing a career that makes you happy. Right now, spending lots of time on school work seems like there is no point, other than being required to do it. However, ten years from now, I will look back at all the time I spent on school, and be glad that I did. I believe it will all pay off in the end, and that is why I work so hard now. I believe that hard work gets you everything that you need.