The Concept of Will

Maximilian - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: change, courage, work

The Concept of Will

I believe in my will. Not the kind that’s written when someone dies, but the kind that urges me to move on forward and challenges my ability. It’s interesting because I only really got my will about a year ago, at the beginning of Freshmen year. I had decided that I was no longer going to be myself anymore, but become a better me. Then things started happening. There was more effort put into school and greater goals were achieved. Then I moved on to other things outside of school, like focusing more in Karate and trying new foods, even though I’m a picky eater. It was amazing and I never felt more alive! It was that feeling someone gets when they have a flying dream, or when you’re doing your favorite thing.

I believe that if I have a strong will, I can do anything. Everything has been possible since that day I started High School. It was a good day, sunny, mild weather. I was walking home from school with some friends and we decided to make some school year resolutions. We all took turns saying our resolves, until it came to me. I thought long and hard about what I was going to do, and I decided then and there that I would change for the better. And that’s exactly what happened. Everything has been better since.

I believe in my strong will, and it has helped me through my life at many different points. Karate is my hobby and up until I got my green belt, I could care less. It became boring and had an unhappy environment. I found it to be a bother and I wasn’t enjoying it. Then one day, my will kicked in and guess what? I tried harder and advanced further. Now, I am closer to a goal set in first grade, one belt away from black. I compete more, practice more, and with every little thing done, my will grows more.

I believe that I can do anything and everything as long as I don’t stop my will, because as soon as I do that, everything important to me is lost. Or at least a lot of things.