Desert Rain

Andrew - Mesa, Arizona

I believe in the magnificence of rain.

Nothing in this world compares to the beauty of the first summer rain. The sight of that first dark splotch on the sidewalk as the heavens open up and release their tears of joy to the open arms of the world brings unparalleled bliss to my life.

Since I was young I have anticipated the arrival of the rain with matchless anticipation. When it finally comes it’s as if I have finally been released from the prison of summer monotony. The soft simpering of the rain on our earth brings the monsoon season to Arizona. This is the one time of the year when it rains nearly everyday, bringing all the inhabitants of our beautiful state to life, and cleansing our earth and sky of all that is impure.

As a child I cherished the rain as I cherish my own life. When the clouds would rumble and the lightning would flash, I was not scared as most kids would be; on the contrary, I was quite happy. While other children ran inside for the shelter of the house, I was running outside. How could anyone hate this? I would wonder as the rain fell upon my face. Even the thunder that usually deeply troubles the young psyche made me smile. Feeling the air rumbling and the ground tremble in fear after a great flash of lightning is something I truly love.

One of my favorite memories is of a powerful storm I experienced as a child. The rain was coming down in reams and the wind was blowing with hurricane force. I remember my brother crying while I sat by the window and watched the event occur. I also remember the wind bending the palm trees nearly to breaking and the rain soaking everything with a layer of water. I also remember the hail. The initial clinking of the small stones against the roof became a thunderous roar as thousands of rocks descended from the sky, attempting entry into my home. I was not scared, but happier than I’d ever been as I watched the sky unleash its fury onto our house.

Every year this season comes yet I am always amazed at its wonder. I look upon the dark clouds with amazement and see the power and splendor of our world in my own backyard. Every time I hear the rain pound onto the earth I feel like I am six years old again watching the sky erupt and waiting to join the celebration with open arms.