The Sweet Sounds

Blake - Gilbert, Arizona

I believe in the sweet sounds of an acoustic guitar.

Plucked notes, bar chords, and soft rhythms are always beautiful to my ear. They lift me off my feet, twirl me around, and set me down back to the ground when the piece is over. Metal and hardcore music is always nice, but when you come down to it, I find that acoustic guitars seem to catch me off my guard with their incredible sounds.

I used to listen to hard rock, but the chunking thud of the electric would make my ears go absolutely out-of-whack. After a while, every song sounded the same. No variation whatsoever. I then decided that I would listen to softer, more pleasant-sounding tunes to help me learn guitar. As I progressed in my learning abilities, I strived to learn how to play the music I listened to. The rock songs that I once listened to were no help to me in my guitar skills, yet the acoustic songs helped me become a better overall guitar player.

Writing music has always been a passion of mine. When I was able to add the guitar to it, music became so much easier for me. I don’t know who created the guitar, but whoever did, must have been divinely inspired. Who would have thought that a figure-8 shaped box frame and six tightly wound strings would be able to make the music that it does. Or who would have thought that if you press one of the strings down, pluck it, a sound would come out? It just boggles my mind that this is even possible.

Since I began playing guitar seven years ago, my parents put me in my church band. After a little bit of time, callused fingers, and broken strings, I began to progress. My hands would look as red as a sunburned penguin, but I was improving everyday. About the start of my freshman year, I started to really get into being on stage. So I decided I was going to enter into the school’s annual talent show. I go to a small Christian school in Gilbert, AZ. With only 400 kids in the entire K-12, there were no winners and only a few acts. But I wasn’t about to let that stop me. I was the last group of the night, and my friend and I walked on stage and plugged my guitar in. I pulled my strap over me, which had checkers on it, and I knew I was ready. I began to play, and oh no! I forgot to turn my amplifier on! I looked over at my friend, his cheeks were completely beet red, but because we were the cool, calm, rock stars, we continued playing, amp or no amp. I was lead singer that night, so I just sang my heart out.

I’ve found that guitar soothes and relaxes me. In reality, I believe that music should be a big part of someone’s life. My life included.