Go Green!

Jacqueline - LaGrange Park, Illinois

I believe in keeping the Earth clean, recycling, saving energy, et cetera. In my opinion, pollution is a huge problem, mainly in the U.S. This past summer while I was staying with a family in Italy, I noticed something different from back in the streets of LaGrange Park. I’m not a car person, but I noticed that pretty much every all I see are SUVs, minvans, and other big cars passing by my house. When I looked around the streets in Italy, almost every single car was on the smaller side; rarely did I see an SUV. Something else that amazed me was that the kids of this Italian family never asked for a ride anywhere the whole time I stayed with them. We rode bikes to the mall (which was about a 25 minute ride) and into town, and we walked to their friends’ houses. Staying with this family made me want to save gas, too, which is hard now that I’m driving and have to get 50 hours; now I want to drive everywhere.

I am very “earthy”, as some like to say, and I really don’t like to hear about all the trees that go to waste every year. My family and most of my friends recycle. I think it’s important because I see no reason why things that can be recycled end up in the trash. Landfills are one of my biggest pet peeves; whenever I drive past one, I pretty much gag from the smell and I just can’t wrap my head around the concept of filling our Earth with garbage. I want my kids and grandkids to live in a place that is not filled with landfills left and right.

Something that I will never forget is a song that my eighth grade teacher showed us about the conservation of energy. It was really funny; it talked about the different kind of light bulbs and how much energy they use. In my house, most of our light bulbs are the energy-conserving ones. I tried to persuade my brother to put them in his apartment, but he won’t do it. I think it’s important to use these because not only does it save the Earth, but it saves my family a bunch of money. My parents love that. These light bulbs last about 10 times longer than regular ones, which means that we have to buy new bulbs that much less. I don’t know what kind of light bulbs LT uses, but I was going to try to figure that out and see what I could do about getting energy-efficient light bulbs used at LT- that would save a ton of energy, which would help my belief. I believe that America should go green.