Jesus Loves the Little Children

hillary - 27834, North Carolina

I remember when I was in sixth grade my Daddy sat me down and had a long talk with me on my bed. He expressed his beliefs on interracial dating based on the fact that I seemed to be drawn to the young black boys in my grade. I knew that he felt strongly about what he was saying to me, he cried; this was the first time I had ever seen my Daddy cry, and it has been stuck in my head ever since. Growing up in the South where there were no black families living near us and the school was predominately white it was unheard of for an interracial couple to evolve. I am twenty-two years old now and am dating a black man. I have not told my parents about him or any other black man that I have dated in the past for fear of letting them down. The sneaking around and hiding this major part of my life when I do not live with them anymore, and starting my own life is heart wrenching. They are my parents and I know they love me unconditionally yet I do not want to let them down. I believe that they should want me to be happy and judge the person on their character, values, education, and morals not the color of their skin. Christianity is my religion and I was taught a little girl to love everybody. The song “Jesus Love the Little Children” is my favorite song because I know that I love everyone and that makes me more like Jesus. No matter the color Jesus will let them into His Father’s Kingdom when all is said and done and that makes me smile.

This is not just a problem for me it seems as if many parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles hold their loved ones back from being happy based on a skin issue. My generation seems to be the trend setters for a lot of things, politics, school, saving the environment, organic foods and most importantly starting to see people for who they are not what color they are. I am proud to be a part of a generation that is setting the bar higher than the last and taking the high road to love everyone not just a few. My dream is to live in a world someday where color really isn’t color just an accessory people wear to express who they are as a person. Maybe one day that will happen and I know that when the time comes for me to have children they will know no color and be happy regardless of what others say because they know that they are right in their beliefs. That is what I believe.