I believe in Peter Pan

Brently - Midlothian, Virginia

I believe in Peter Pan. No, I’m not talking about the peanut butter, no matter how delicious it is. I don’t believe the free-spirited airborne boy with green tights will come in my room one night and take me to Neverland. I believe in everything he stands for: the child within us. Most children are the ones begging their parents to take them to amusement parks when they were young. However, for me, my dad was the one who begged to take us. We would go to Disney World almost every other summer, not because we asked for it, but because my dad wanted to go. Not only was he happy seeing us play at the various amusements, but also he was enjoying it himself. He used to watch cartoons with me and play hide and go seek for hours, until the point where any normal parent would be on to more mature things such as coffee and newspapers. What I didn’t realize was he loved bringing back the child inside himself. Think about it. I bet you can remember your first time riding a bike on your own, the feeling of your hair being blown through the wind. I bet you can remember the feeling of winning your first soccer game, twirling around aimlessly at a ballet recital, or your parents telling you not to play with your food after you made a face out of your potatoes. Most of all, I bet you remember waking up at 6 am Christmas morning to see what Santa brought and if he ate the disfigured homemade cookies you made. I used to make sure I put the cookies precisely by the fireplace so Santa wouldn’t step on them but would see them to eat them. I always imagined waking up and meeting him but always was afraid he wouldn’t come if I was still asleep. It was such a magical time and every year I feel the memory of that naïve bliss that I held as a child. I believe we all want an incomparable role in adventure. Whether we seek it through school, friends, books or movies: it’s what we are dying to have. I remember when I was little, my cousins and I would go upstairs to the playroom and dress up playing princesses all day long until we had to be pulled away. We pretended we had brave daring adventures to save our village made of blanked forts and princes would save us from fire breathing dragons. We were warriors sticking up for our people like in Pocahontas and Lion King. There is no better feeling in the world than knowing all in the world is good. Every small accomplishment is a big deal, from making a stellar finger painting or the recess kickball team, and curiosity is the basis of thought. I believe these things are vital to pull out of our selves today. I believe in Peter Pan.