I Believe In Laughter

Kristen - La Grange Park, Illinois

Imagine a world where there is absolutely no fun. The people never smile, they only wear blank, lifeless faces. Nor are there such things as comedies. Yes, that means such shows like “The Office” or movies like “Meet the Parents” do not exist. Only dramas or tragedies are on TV to watch. When friends hang out, all they do is study or talk about how horrible their day was. This type of world does not seem like a great place to be, does it? It seems like there is one small thing missing that makes this world seem intolerable, one thing we take for granted. This one little thing is present in our everyday lives. It’s the difference between loving yourself and hating others, and having a great day or having a crumby one. I believe strongly in this little thing. I believe in laughter.

The best incidents are the ones you don’t see coming. They’re what I call spontaneous situations. In fact, just a while ago, my friend was on the blocks during a swim meet getting ready to dive in during a relay. The girl swimming at the time was about to hit the wall, but ended up doing a flip turn back in the opposite direction. My friend had forgotten that the other girl still had another lap to go. She realized this a little late, and did a half-jump into the water, right in front of my face. I completely did not see it coming, and it sent my entire relay into fits of laughter. She, of course, joined in. Simply laughing, she shook off her embarrassment. That sent a clear message to our relay: she has enough self-esteem to be able to laugh at herself. That’s a true life skill right there, something to be admired.

Another type of laughter I’ve classified is premeditated laughter. This means that you know the joke is coming, like if you ask a friend to tell “that one story about the kid who couldn’t sing for his life, but tried out for choir anyway.” Or, it could be as simple as going to a comedy in theatres. You obviously know the movie is going to be funny because of the previews, newspaper reviews, and genre. Last weekend, I went to go see the movie “The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor” with a few of my girlfriends. Now, we knew this movie was part action and part comedy, so we knew there were going to be some hilarious scenes. Some parts we saw coming, but the movie was extremely corny, which made up part of our time spent laughing, There is this one scene where all the characters are in a plane flying through the mountains, when the camera turns toward the back of the plane where one of the characters, Uncle John, is. Next to Uncle John, on this tiny five-passenger plane from the 40’s, is a cow. Now why on earth would a cow be on a plane? No reason. So naturally, my friends and I burst out laughing. And then, another odd scene, was where they let the cow free in the middle of the Himalayas. It was just so bizarre!

So you see, laughter makes life so much happier and more enjoyable. It creates bonds between friends and imprints lasting memories. Almost all of the best times of my life involve me laughing, usually with other people. I have become close to most of my friends because they make me laugh. I think having a good sense of humor is one of the most important qualities in a person. It draws me to people. Laughter may seem like such a trivial concept, but sometimes, it’s really the small things that count.