The Daily Foundation of My Life is Christ

Allison - Pauline, South Carolina
Themes: Christianity

This I believe, that my deep commitment to my Savior, Jesus Christ, is what I daily lay as the foundation for my life. Each day I strive to become a better person and strive to show Christ through my actions and everyday, I fail, a million times over. Through out life I have learned that no one is perfect, except Christ. I strive to not be what the world would call a Christian or as I have begun to prefer, a follower of Christ. From my friends, my family and my teachers, I have learned that most people see Christians as hypocrites. Sadly, in some cases this is true. They see Christians as someone who claims to love God and goes to church “each time the doors are open” yet cuss, get drunk, hate other people, cheat and lie.

When I was younger, my parents never took my brothers or myself to church because they had not gone to church much either and did not see the point. But when I was 11 years old, my mom’s co-worker asked my mom if I wanted to go to church with her daughter. I went and I loved it! During the summer, I went to Vacation Bible School and one night I felt this huge tug on my heart. I felt that I had to talk to the pastor because I wanted and needed to ask Jesus to come into my heart. I was so nervous and my palms were sweaty; I was so scared! The pastor asked me why I came forward and I told him that I wanted to accept Christ! He told me that all I needed to do was just tell God how I felt. Right then and there, at the front of my church, crying my eyes out, I told God that I KNEW that I was a sinner and asked him to forgive me of my sins.

Sadly, my life didn’t stay changed forever or even as long as I wanted it too. Being in High School make me feel like a total outcast. I felt like I was the only one in the whole school who felt the way I did about Jesus. I wanted very badly to fit in and be accepted. I felt so much pressure being a Christian. I felt like people were always watching me, waiting for me to mess up. And guess what? I did mess up, I let people copy my homework, I gossiped and sometimes I slipped up and said a word or two that I really didn’t mean. But one thing that I committed to and have stuck with is my decision to remain sexually pure until marriage. Some people make fun of me and think that I am missing out but I do not see it that way. I am not going to lie and say it is easy because it isn’t. Another commitment is that I’ve never drank alcohol and I hope to remain that way.

Being a follower of Christ does not promise safety or happiness everyday of my life. . So many missionaries have lost loved one while serving Christ, such as Gracia Burnham, a missionary to the Philippines. Gracia lost her husband, Martin, in 2001 after being hostages for a year in the jungle. To bring things close to home, Cassie Bernall, a high school student at Columbine High school, was killed when asked if she believed in God in the Columbine Shooting in 1999. Neither one of these women are perfect, but they both lived their lives for Christ and had no regrets! I too, want to live my life for Christ, giving everything I have for him, with NO regrets!

Being a follower of Christ is more than fluff and happiness. As a Christian, I face persecution and hardships just like everyone else. But someone who truly loves Christ, through the daily work of God, can forgive and praise him even amidst the storms of life, just like Gracia Burnham, does everyday. My basic core belief and goal for my life is to serve Christ with all that I have, to create a different view of Christians for the world and to change somones view of life by how I live my own.