Purpose of Family

Justin - Wildwood, Missouri

What are the purposes of the people in your family? Are they just the people that you go to when you need help? Or, are they the people that love you and will always be there for you? Could they just be the people that you see during the holidays?

Family is the most important thing that you can have in your life. Families are the people that will always be there for you and help you in your times of need, no matter how bad the situation may seem. Even if you were to rob a store or do some horrible crime, your family will still be there for you. Over the years I have been hearing people complain when they would have to spend a day with their family. I don’t understand why they complain because spending time with them is the best time you can have. I guess the reason is because they don’t value them as much as they should. They don’t value them and won’t value them until they are gone. The people that have experienced someone disappear know how much more they will value them once they have gone away.

Ever since I was in elementary school, I have not talked to or even really seen my aunt, uncle, and first cousins. The reason that I never talk or see them is because my grandma and my aunt had a disagreement and everything escalated. As the years went on they talked less and less to me and my sister even though we had done nothing that would upset them. Sadly I don’t think the fight will ever end. My aunt said to me, “I will love you no matter what happens,” what she said really hurts because if you love someone, then shouldn’t you talk to them? I really do hate it when people complain about having to go and spend time with their cousins, because I wish I could say that I was going to spend the day with my cousins, since I haven’t spent time with mine for several years. Year after year I never see or talk to them since they won’t acknowledge me.

The holidays have always been the worst time of year for me because people say that they are going to go to their aunt or uncles house and the whole family is going to be there. Well for me it’s just staying home and going to see grandparents for the day. I love my grandparents and I like spending time with them, but it still hurts that I don’t get to spend the holidays with my whole family. When I was little the whole family celebrated the holidays together and I wish I could remember those days, but I can’t.

Not having my whole family makes it hard to get through life, since they should be the closest people to me. I do wish that they were in my life so I could share with them everything that I have done and everything that I am going to do.