Only One Earth and Only One Chance for Change

Kamil - Houston, Texas
Themes: environment

Imagine what our planet must have looked like millions of years ago, before the arrival of man. Imagine the clear skies, the blue seas, the lush forests. Today, we see polluted air, melting ice caps, deforestation, and many other problems that were caused by our actions toward Earth. We need to act fast to reverse these problems that we have caused, or at least hinder them until a solution can be found. The window for change is still open, but it is closing rapidly.

I read a lot about these problems in random articles from my Popular Science magazine and shows I watch on National Geographic. I read about the different theories of how man kind will come to an end, about how global warming will cause ice caps to melt or how deforestation will cause major reduction in levels of oxygen and reduce animal habitats.

Many think technology can save us and that scientists will create an innovation that will help slow global warming and the other problems we are facing. But technology is a tool that will only help us, not do the job for us. We humans must take initiative in order to save our planet.

So, the problem is known to many across the world, but the question is how to stop it. “How can I help the cause?” There are always the simple but effective answers like, “Throw your trash away into the trash can.” or “Ride a bike to school.” But I believe we can do more, we can go beyond. We can create groups in our communities and raise awareness of the situation and help generate new ideas of how to help our planet. Communities can get together and raise money to help find a reliable alternative fuel. Nations need to get together because this involves everyone, every country, every one of us to do our part.

I joined clubs in my school who are looking to help the cause for a greener planet. I went with my friends to help clean up around the community. You don’t have to be the rich guy who pays for solar panels or the huge wind turbines. You can be like the millions of others who join together with the rich guy to help find new sources of energy and help save our planet.