My Beliefs

Jared - Chesterfield, Missouri

I believe in many things. I believe in free will. I believe in kindness and love. I believe in the value of hard work and the importance of never giving up. My most fundamental beliefs are conclusions I have come to after countless hours of observing the world around me and thinking about it.

One thing I do not believe in is the concept of God as often depicted. The idea of some single all-powerful entity simply doesn’t mesh in well with everything else. In my mind, an omniscient God means no free will, because God already knows everything that will happen, meaning everything is already decided. That is not to say I do not believe in the importance of faith. Having some way of knowing everything will turn out for the best is extremely important during hard times.

Like I said above, I believe in kindness and love. Crazy mass-murderers and people focused solely on themselves to the exclusion of all around them are in the minority. Humans, and other intelligent living beings, care for each other. This care comes not from some moral values created by society, but from the very heart of our being. How else can one explain that living beings of all types actually have a physical reaction to love? It has even been demonstrated that people with better friendships have healthier lives in general.

Most of all, though, I believe in the importance of life and living it well. This life is all we have, so we have to make the best we can of it and have a good time while we do it. If we spend our time doing nothing but worrying about “the big picture,” we will end up wasting all the time we have. A quote that, in my mind, best exemplifies this idea comes from a video game: Final Fantasy VI. “It’s not the net result of one’s life that’s important; it’s the day-to-day concerns, the personal victories, and the celebration of life, and love!”

That’s not to say that the overall state of the world is entirely unimportant. As the most influential species on the planet, it’s our job to make sure the Earth remains able to support life. Seeing all the problems we humans have caused, it’s our responsibility, even, to keep this planet inhabitable as long as possible. Everything eventually comes to an end. This is especially true when factoring in the second law of thermodynamics, that all energy eventually degrades to heat, and ordered systems tend toward chaos. But we should try to keep things around for as long as we can regardless.

My beliefs are all interrelated by the underlying idea that life is good. This I believe, and no matter what anyone says, all life is important beyond value. Even the life of a single ant is worth protecting. All life is precious and must be preserved from ending unnaturally at any cost. This is the basic idea behind everything I believe.