Impact Rewards

Stephanie - Cowpens, South Carolina

I believe that the rewards of teaching are endless. School starts with the actual classrooms, but without teachers school would be essentially nothing. Teachers are the reason children go to school. I am an education major and I plan to teach elementary school.

When I was in fourth grade I thought I had the best teacher in the world. Mrs. Oye made learning fun by introducing games and incorporating crafts that correlated with the subject that we were learning about. We may have been learning about whether and we would make a tornado in a bottle. If students behaved well or made good grades in class she would give out candy or small toys to reward the student. The reward for her was seeing the child’s face light up at the enjoyment of her methods of teaching.

Another teacher that made a huge impact in my life was my twelfth grade English teacher. Mrs. Hayes always assigned so much work and tons of practice tests for the exam at the end of the year. This exam would decide whether or not we received college credit for the Advanced Placement class. Everyone always griped and complained about the amount of work that she assigned. We did a lot of reading essays and answering questions related to the essay. We also wrote many essays ourselves. However, at the end of the year during exam time all of that hard work during class time paid off. Many of the students went back to her and told her what a huge help she had been. The reward for her was to know that all of her strenuous work was helpful to the students.

My beliefs are based on the fact that I was able to experience first hand what it is like to work in the classroom with first graders by taking service learning in high school. Most of what I did at the school was run errands for Mrs. Dailey, but I was occasionally able to work with Chelsea or Lita in the classroom when they needed extra help. Since I was only in the class for about an hour I did not get all of the experience that I would have liked to get. I did have an opportunity though to stay at the school all day during a job shadowing day at my high school. I was not there to do errands that day. I was there to help the teacher actually teach and spend more time with the kids.

It was planned for me to read a book to the students first thing in the morning. However, when I was halfway through, the principal of the school called me out of the classroom. The kindergarten teacher assistant had gone home sick. They asked if I would like to replace the teacher assistant for a day. I agreed right off. I was able to experience what it is to work with a large group of small children. In the centers the students were learning the basics of sewing. I helped the children as much as possible since it is difficult to teach a kindergartener how to sew. That day it was rewarding to see a child’s face light up at some new concept or discover like how to paint a heart or match animals with the sounds they make. It was also rewarding to take the students outside for recess and teach them ring around the rosy or hide and seek or just enjoy being outside with them.

I believe that the rewards of teaching are endless because it makes my day just to see a child smile or to just spend time with a child. If I am having a bad day or feeling down all I have to do is spend some time around small children and I will brighten up in just a few minutes. Children make me extremely happy. On a more personal level teaching is rewarding because every encounter, interaction, or relationship that you make with a child are as valuable as any friendship. It may be a younger child, but any communication may bring happiness. Making an impact on the lives of the children is a tremendous responsibility and it takes a strong person to do so.

When I become a teacher I plan to keep my students intrigued with the subject at hand. I want each of my students to have the opportunity to succeed no matter how small the goal is. I will hopefully influence the next era of leaders by teaching them morals and values that they need to succeed in their lives. I will have the chance to shape minds and share my knowledge with the future generation. The future depends on the children of today. I will not be able to really know what kind of life the student has at home so I will be kind to the students. This may be the only time of the day that the students are treated well. Any teacher is a good citizen by serving children of the community with their knowledge. Like many teachers have, I too hope to make an impact at the world level. I hope that I can teach my students to appreciate diverse groups.

Some of the rewards of teaching are also very beneficial to the teacher alone. One reward would be having the summer off. It gives the teacher time to relax and maybe learn a little bit more so that they can come back with even more knowledge to mold minds. I also believe that by teaching students I will stay young forever because no matter how old I get I will always be on the level of the children to bring understanding. Job security is another reward of teaching. No matter the crisis in the world teachers will still be needed.

Everyday teachers deal with a classroom full of students with open minds to learning. If the teacher is right for the job he or she will want to share as much of his or her knowledge as possible. Teaching is a huge responsibility and sometimes may prove to be difficult. I know this because I have experienced first hand what it is to be a student and a teacher. However difficult teaching can be, I believe the rewards of teaching are endless.