The Good Samaritan

Dominique - Goldsboro, North Carolina

It was a rainy day about two weeks ago. I was at work, and we were having a really busy day. My manager had left early that day, so I didn’t have to worry about his criticism on my work efforts.

As I worked that day, I looked out the window. I noticed a car had broken down in the middle of the street in front of the shop. Traffic was pretty backed up. As I watched this scene, many thoughts went through my mind. Such thing like,” I should help those people.”, or “No, your already behind in work, and it’s rainy outside.” The one that spoke to me the most was, “At least go see what’s wrong.”

I could see that the stranded people were pushing their car out of the road, into our parking lot. This is when I swallowed my pride, and went to see what was wrong. As I approached I could see tree men standing outside of their vehicle looking back at me. They probably thought I was going to tell them that they couldn’t put the car here. “What seems to be the problem?” I asked. The only one who knew was an older gentleman, who had no jacket, and appeared to be shaking. “The car wont start.” He said. “It needs a jump.” “Is that right?” I replied. “Would you like to come inside?” I asked. “No, I’m fine.” He said. I told them I would go pull my truck up, and give them a jump. I could see this man’s face light up when I said this.

When I returned with my truck, I took out some jumper cables, and proceeded to connect them. I started my vehicle, that’s when I realized my gas needle was on E.

5 minutes went by, the car wouldn’t start. 10 minutes went by, the car wouldn’t start. 15 minutes went by, the car still wouldn’t start. That’s when I told them the problem wasn’t the battery. It was a little bigger than we expected. You could tell that they really didn’t have a lot of money to spend on car trouble.

After removing my cables, the older gentleman came up to me and said,” I know it’s not much, but here.” He handed me five dollars. I smiled, and said “keep it”. Nothing else was said between us. I waited with them until help came, and then went back to work.

I don’t know why I even cared about those people that day. I don’t know what possessed me to let my vehicle run for 15 minutes, when I knew I didn’t have any gas. Even now I think back, and find it stupid of me to return that five dollar bill. I then realize that if we all just put down our guards down, and allow ourselves to listen, and obey our conscience. Life would be way less complicated.