Laughter Is Good For the Soul

Jasmine - Goldsboro, North Carolina

Credo: Laughter Is Good For the Soul

This I believe, laughter is good for the soul. Is this really true?

I hear my parents talk about the stock market. They say certain investments are at risk. People could lose large sums of money put aside for retirement. Then, my grandparents say, this is like the Depression. People lost their homes and jobs. Gas and certain foods were rationed. I asked them what rationed meant. Ration meant you stood in a long line to get a small portion or supply to last a certain period of time. I felt uneasy and thought… Could this really happen?

The nightly news discusses cases of discrimination. Males in certain businesses make more money than females. They have the same level of education and sometimes, more experiences. Yet males are being paid more. That is discriminating. Some people say certain races are better than others, and if you are not that race, you suck! According to reports, discrimination is seen when you apply for jobs. Oh! You’re too young for one thing and then you’re too old for something else. Depressing! All of this kind of talk will make you cry.

Job losses and unemployment go up and down. People can’t afford to go to a doctor. They cannot afford the treatment because they have no insurance. Young soldiers are going to war. Many are killed. Some return injured and get a little help. There is always something dealing with war. When will it stop? Then there is always talk of another war. This is depressing; enough to make you cry!

Instead of crying I will laugh. No, I am not naïve. I know this is serious. There is a time for laughter and a time to be serious. I have made up my mind. I believe that I must be joyful. I believe I must be merry. I believe in laughter. No more tears! No more anger! Laughter makes my soul feel good! I have made up my mind to find joy.

So, when my dad shares one of his jokes, I will be amused and laugh with his sense of humor. I will also be amused by my mom’s seriousness but respectful. I will laugh with the babies in the restaurants and at other places when they are loud! I will find solace in my favorite show and laugh. I will laugh when there is nothing to laugh about. Love, live, laugh… Proceed, progress. I believe that laughter is good for the soul.