Jansch-Pants

Samantha - Goldsboro, North Carolina

Jansch-Pants

Here’s what I know: pizza is better cold and for breakfast; the sunrise is prettier on the beach; swimming is more fun in the ocean; road trips are better with all left turns; staying up late is more fun with your best friend; and dancing, singing, and laughing are all better if you do them on a daily basis.

I moved to Goldsboro in the summer before seventh grade. The first day of school the only thing on my mind was where was I going to sit at lunch. After successfully finding my classroom and finding a seat, I sat down and looked around. Typical seventh grade classroom; chalkboard, desks, teacher, and… girl who looks like me? Okay, odd. I fully turned around to get a better look. Huh, so strange, she looked just like me. She was talking animatedly to the girl next to her. She kept saying, “It’s my birthday, it’s my birthday!” That was amusing. Little did I know, she would, and will, be amusing me for the rest of my life.

That day was the first day I met my best friend. And to this day she is, and probably always will be, the oddest person I have ever met, or will ever meet. She’s one of, like, three people in the world that I can confide in absolutely. Since we became friends, we’ve gone through a lot. We’ve had a lot of friends, a lot of fights, and A LOT of brownies, and through it all we’ve remained close. It also has really got to say something when your middle name is Jansch (just try to pronounce it, I dare you), and I still want to give that name to my daughter, if I have one (it’s said like “dance” but with a j, like Jance).

I’ve spent the last four years of my life learning things from her, and, honestly, most of the things I’ve learned are frightening. Some, though, are useful: Laugh if it’s funny. Use strange accents and make odd faces. Drink hot chocolate at 3 am. Change is okay. If you want to wear purple sweatpants and brown boots, wear purple sweatpants and brown boots. And, a personal favorite, if you have a bug bite, to avoid scarring, don’t scratch it… SLAP IT! Basically, she’s taught me to live for the little things that you love.

Oh yeah… I forgot one: “Jansch” and “pants” apparently rhyme.