With Friends Like These

Lacy - Sweeny, Texas

Friendship. I believe that friendship is a necessity to life. Family is nice and all trust me, but friends are so much nicer to have around. Friends are close enough for you to reach, but don’t suffocate like most relatives seem to have the ability to do. Ya’ll know who I’m talking about. Friends are the kind of people you can call in the middle of the night and blubber some incoherent message to and they will understand every word and try to comfort you.

Normally, I could say I have around a half a dozen friends that can read me like a book. Those friends come and go with the petty arguments we get into throughout the lifetime of our friendship. We’ve all been through quite a bit together, but we always help each other up, laugh, and continue on.

No matter what, I must believe in my friends. If I didn’t, I honestly don’t think I would be here today. They listened to me when I really needed them, and I am grateful they were willing to listen. In return, I would do anything for them.

My friends are the kind of people that never stop having fun. We can laugh at absolutely nothing. No, seriously we can. I remember a time where my friend, Dana, and I just glanced at each other then burst into uncontrollable laughter for nearly five minutes. Till this day we don’t know what we found that was so funny, but we sure did feel better after that good laugh.

I remember this one time when I was having several issues floating around me and nothing was getting solved how I wanted it to. As usual, I bottled it all up and decided to keep it to myself. Finally, one day I cracked. In the meantime, I had been texting a good friend of mine. Let’s just say she got fed up with the insanely long messages and called me up. I hate crying and I hate crying in front of people. So, what do I do? I sat there and cried so hard I thought the world was ending. All the while, bawling about what was going on. She gave me her piece about the issue and told me to calm down. I happily obliged and reduced the crying to mild sniffles. I couldn’t thank her enough that she was there to hear what I had to say.

Life is all about making mistakes and eventually learning from them. Everyone knows this from personal experience. With those situations we find ourselves getting into, there are friends, who are prepared to help you through just about anything. They just wait with their arms wide open for you to come and ask for their help. There are times, though, where you believe that you don’t need friends and you can do everything by yourself. I have believed in that too, but now I realize how wrong I was. Through good times and bad, my friends have stuck to me regardless. I believe that true friends will be there forever for one another.