The Community around Us

Kala - Spartanburg, South Carolina

We are all connected and maybe not by blood but, we are all brothers and sisters. We all depend on one another, and need what each other has to offer. I believe in my community and the people who surround it. Being able to give to my community is extremely important to me. I feel like the most important gift a person can give, is to give back to their community. I believe that volunteering in your community will make a difference to not only yourself but everyone around you.

I know that everyday there is some act of kindness that I can do for my community. Although I do not get to help out in my community every single day, I do help when I have the chance. A few years back I used to deliver Mobil Meals every Wednesday. I would ride with my Aunt to the local church and pick up our meals. We had a certain area of the community we had to deliver to, and we would take those citizens meals every Wednesday. As soon as we would walk in the door, their faces would light up with a huge smile. I am sure that some of those elderly people really needed the food, while I know that others just liked the visit that came along with the food. They would want us to stay all day and chat with them. While we did stay a little while and talk we couldn’t stay all day. We had to make sure that we made all of our rounds by lunch time, so that all of the people had something to eat. Those elderly men and women made a huge impact on my life and made me realize how just one little visit could make someone so happy. I believe in making another person happy, because at the same time it makes me light up inside.

I also volunteer in a program at my church “Mother’s Morning Out”. Every Friday mothers of the community will bring their child to us while they go and run errands that is sometimes impossible to do with a young child. We play games with the kids and do Bible activities with them. The children really enjoy coming and playing with other kids their age, and the moms are able to get important things done. I enjoy working with children so this is enjoyable for me as well, because I believe in helping out a good cause in my community.

I believe in volunteering in my community and I feel as if everyone should help out in their community every chance they get. Not only are you doing something good for your community but it makes you feel good on the inside too. Even if it is just stopping by a neighbor’s house and chatting with them for the afternoon, you still make a difference in someone else’s life. All it takes is a little effort and that can go a long way.