Rain

Brennen - South Lyon, Michigan
Themes: nature

I believe in rain, I believe in rain when it is not raining and I believe when I know it’s raining elsewhere. I know that the pure, untainted water is spilling over some part of the Earth whether I can see it or not. These people who I don’t know and probably never will know are helped and are given a sense of renewal. It is the passing shower that washes the dirt between my toes and the bloody sins of our society.

As kid even to today I have always found sitting on the front porch of my house during a rain storm one of the most serene and tranquil things I can do. Sitting there listening to the pitter- patter of the rain upon the ground while watching as dirt and leaves are carried aimlessly down my driveway into the road. It is during these short lived showers that I can truly open my eyes and see the world around me. Rain accentuates the beauty of life when lacking the hustle and bustle of our daily routines and how calm it can really become. It is a time to take a deep breath and inhale the fresh air the rain has delivered and exhale all the exhaustion and worries you keep buried inside. Looking at my naked feet I realize how dirty they had become, so I stuck out my feet and watched as the rain made the dirt drips away. As this sensation occurred I began to think how everything has seemed to get dirtier and is now waiting for the rain to come and clean it.

On the news there are stories of death and sorrow happening within the world hour after hour, day after day. Whether it be a power struggle in Africa, the war in Iraq or a wanted shooter on the local news. Blood is spilt, pain is caused, the cycle moves on. Stains set into place, a dark red remembrance of what took place leaving a hurtful reminder to those who live on. Problems similar to these have been occurring since the dawn of man yet these deaths have passed and the sin is never seen again. Why is that? I believe it is rain. For as time passes these showers of rain will move through these marked lands and cleanse them, washing away the stains of sin and death. In this sense rain is like a requiem to those who once laid dead on the ground, a final movement to finally put those stains and pains to rest. For once the rain passes those sins can only be found in history. Rain is the opposite of these sins and that is why I believe that it is within its power to rightfully take these stains away.

I believe in rain, I believe in rain when it is not raining and I believe when I know it’s raining elsewhere. For its cleansing properties, for its healing effects, and for its ability to take our pain this I believe.