I believe that everyone should experience the feeling of love

Karen - Carey, Ohio
Themes: family, love

I believe that everyone should experience the feeling of love. A life without love would be meaningless. So what is love?

It took me quite some time to understand what love really is. For five years I was chasing after the wrong thing; Lust. One christmas, while I was visiting my grandma in Florida, I met a girl named Laila and I told her my story about the boy at my high school that I was “in love with.” From what she told me I realized that if you look for love you will not find it. If you wait patiently for love it will find you.” Of course I did not believe her and continued to chase him anyway. 2 years later I graduated high school and never saw him again. I was upset and went to New York City to visit my grandmother again to clear my head. While I was gone I taught myself not to worry about guys so much and I decided to focus on school and my goals in life. That was one of the hardest things I ever had to do because I believe that most important thing to experience in life is the feeling of love.

A week after I got back from New York I met a man named Jason. The first moment that we were alone together we fell in love. It was the weirdest feeling in the world for me, so new that I barely knew what to do with it. I had never experienced true love before this point and was happy that I finally found it.

I grew up in a family that did not express their love. My mom and dad fought all the time and divorced when I was 13. I had to find out what love meant on my own. Because of this, there was not the usual I love you’s on the phone when I was at the end of a conversation with my mom or dad or when I was leaving my dad’s house after a weekend visit. I only said “I love you” when he made me. Because I did not grow up with it, it felt weird to say it, like it was a foreign language. Once my dad passed away I thought about all the good times we had together and I could not believe that the first time I told him I loved him and meant it was the day of his funeral. That day I decided that from now on whenever I know I love someone, I will tell them; And I meant that to include romantic relationships as well, not just family.

Most people don’t know this, but when my husband and I were first dating, I was the one to say I love you first. Kind of lame I know, but apparently it wasn’t too bad because we have now been married for a little more than five months and we are both very happy. Now that I have found love, I know how precious and special it is. Love is the most powerful feeling in the world. When you find someone you truly love, never let them go. I believe that when you love someone, you should tell them every single day because you never know when you will lose that opportunity.

Somewhere in my speech I wanted to include some lyrics of a song, but after reading them I realized that the words are more powerful if you hear the song rather than have me read them to you, so I encourage everyone, even if you do not like country music, to go home and listen to the song “So Small” by Carrie Underwood.