The Importance of Music

Emily - Charlotte, North Carolina

Music connect s me to other people. It allows me to glimpse something outside of myself . I pick up my I-pod, and can listen to the songs from the past and present . I can connect to people from other cultures and can wonder about what these people were thinking and feeling as they wrote the music.

When I pick up my violin and play a song by classical composers, like Mozart or Beethoven, I think it is really cool that I am can play a piece of music that is so old and timeless. I wonder about the people that created and listened to the music. What were they thinking? What were they feeling? Was their inspiration similar to the things that inspire me today? What were their lives like on a daily basis and how did music change that? The music gives me a chance to try to see the similarities between me and the people of the past. I play songs that people with completely different lives wrote and listened to. I can play songs that have affected generations of music lovers.

Music connects me to my family. I listen to the same songs my parents listened to when they were my age. I hear the songs they loved and understand that my parents went through some of the same things I have. I can connect with my mom because of our similar tastes in music. Sometimes, I turn on some new song, and my mom and I run around the house and dance like idiots. We laugh and enjoy the music . In the car, we turn up music and sing along at the tops of our lungs. We have so much fun together listening to our favorite bands.

My friends and I have similar taste in music too. When we go to parties we turn up MSI, turn down the lights, and break out the glow sticks. We jump around and wave the glow sticks in the air like a bunch of lunatics. It is so much fun. It makes me feel closer to my friends because we have this in common. I burn CDs for my friends so they can share a part of my life that I consider important.

Music, for me, is a way of finding joy in the relationships I share with others. Be it goofing around to music with my friends and family, or playing classical music in the orchestra, music makes me happy. It creates a stronger bond with others.