Yadira - CHICAGO, Illinois

Like everyone in this world I have faced sad and happy times. I have learned from my mistakes and always know my good and bad. I believe that everyone is new by the time the sun rises and brings light to our window; everyone wakes up with the choice of improving their life or just letting the “yesterday” be the” today”.

About 7 months ago I started feeling sad and things seemed to bother me more than usual. The reason why I was feeling that way was because my dad was hurting my family. I felt like running away to a place where no one will find me and see me cry. I remember he would come home late and never answer our phone calls. When he was actually around he would ignore us and pretend like no one was around. He actually stopped worrying about us. He was just different; it was as if he was a whole new person. No one seemed to know why he was acting that way. My family would tell us that he had some one else, when those words got to my head, I actually felt my heart breaking. Those words would completely tore my mom’s heart. She will spent night crying. Eventually, few weeks later, my mom and I found him with some one else, the messed up thing was a relative. My mom baptized her daughter. I felt mad and destroyed by my dad’s actions. During that period of time, I kept asking myself, “why?” and “How me as a daughter have I failed?” These questions took over my mind. However, because I am the oldest, I had to show my brothers that I was a strong person, and most importantly show them that with or with out my dads help, we were always going to keep our heads up.

There was a point in where I got tired of feeling this way, and those questions spinning on my head. There was a night where I decided to change the way of thinking and feeling. I told myself that I was going to be a new person, that if today was a bad day, the tomorrow will be a different day. I also kept telling myself that I will pick myself up the same amount of times that I have fallen. Passing through such a painful experience, I learned to cherish my days and life.

Always remember that, everyone passes through pain and it’s necessary for growth. I once feared the light of happiness because of that one mistake my dad made. I learned true happiness will always give me strength to improve myself and life. Don’t be scared to change because even the most beautiful butterfly had to undergo a metamorphosis before it could fly.