Why Things Happen

Diana - Chicago, Illinois

I heard my aunt shout, “No… not my baby! Why, God?” Those gun shots rang through my head over and over again. I fell to my knees crying, as I saw my eighteen year old cousin collapse to the floor, bleeding in pain and anger. The police got there thirty minutes later and the ambulance got there about fourty five minutes later. He was shot two times on his left leg and once near his chest. He was in a coma for about three months.

I was always wondering, “Why is this happening to us?” Later on, I found out that one of my cousin’s friends who got shot that day along with my cousin died on the spot. I never stopped to think about that person’s family, or the hurt they were feeling, I was just so caught up with what was happening to my cousin. That day I started to love life with a passion.

The day my cousin got out of the coma was the best day ever, I remember sitting next to his hospital bed, waiting for at least a finger moving, or the slightest eye movement. I started talking to him, telling him how much I cared and worried about him… “Why does this happen to us?” I asked. When I asked that he started opening his eyes and trying to talk.

That was when I realized, “Hey… my cousin is alive! He is here with me, he is not dead.” Something worse could have happened.

I always had that question in my mind, “Why do things happen to certain people?” That day I found out that things happen for a reason. My cousin went through a vigorous recuperation and when he came out the first words he told me were:

“Everything that God does, he does it for a reason.”

Those words will stay with me forever.

Sometimes you are going to be okay with whatever happens to you, good or bad, and sometimes you won’t, but that is how life is you just have to take the negative and turn it into a positive.

The happiest day of my life was the day my cousin came out of the coma and I heard him talk for the first time in three months. Like my cousin, we all need to appreciate life because every day we have is borrowed and we never know when it will be our last. So we should live every day as if it WERE our last and accept that everything happens for a reason.