I believe in living in the past

Henry - Harrisonburg, Virginia

I believe in the past, to be more specific- living in the past. I don’t mean taking up your whole life riding the glory for something you did years ago, nor do I mean dwelling over something you did that you might really regret. I mean actually being in a different historical era, living in the past and growing up in years that have long passed. When I say the past, I mean the 1960’s and 70’s, though I’m not going to be all too particular. I believe that it would be a better atmosphere to live in a time with not as much technological advancement, but enough achievements in medicine to ensure your health and safety throughout life.

I had two teachers in high school that unknowingly worked together to found this idea in me. The first was a Science teacher. His Field and Natural history elective that I took as a senior really made me love the outdoors more than I already did. He had a great knack for teaching us about nature while still dropping little jokes to keep us interested. His strong ideals against cell phones and un-needed technology inspired me to be more like him.

The second was a History teacher who would tell us little anecdotes of his life “back in the day.” My favorite of all time was when he told us of sneaking onto a stopped train one night with his friends in Oneida, NY at the Hood Ice Cream Factory and staying up all night, eating gallons upon gallons of ice cream before the train took off.

Hearing from them about life when they grew up and how much fun they had hooked me. From then on I just wanted to live a couple decades back and experience life in a different time and setting. Without the hassles of terrorism and the lack of privacy coming about from the USA PATRIOT Act among others, life seems much more appealing to me.

After hearing their stories, I realized that what I like most about living back then is that the kids were so much more active outdoors. Growing up in rural upstate New York, I learned to love the outdoors. Playing in the fields and forests of my family’s 42-acre hilltop lot was some of the most fun I ever had. I feel like not many children get these opportunities now because of new fangled gaming systems that occupy their time.

The technological advances of our time: iPhones, Wiis, and Hybrid cars, are all good in their own sense, but I lets try to focus less on amazingly “real” simulations, and more on reality. I believe that this gives you a real sense of the world around you. I want my children to grow up influenced by real people and not the media. This is why I believe in living in the past.