The Binding Power of Movies

Joe - Herndon, Virginia

As a person, I’ve always much preferred things that brought us together rather than those that drive us apart. Although beachweek is primarily for spending time with friends you may never see again, I had an epiphany one of the nights.

I never had any kind of religious faith in my household and thus are very open to other people’s ideas. And yet during beachweek I encountered a young man that seemed closed off to any belief contradicting christian doctrine. We debated for the better half of two nights with no resolution. And yet by the end although his moral standards were high, I found out that his weakness was scandalous movies. I had finally found something that we could share.

I believe in movies. The world moves much faster now and as times are changing so do the things that people talk about. It’s no longer, hey have you read the latest novel by Erasmus. It’s have you seen Requiem for a Dream and thought about the intricacies of drug abuse.

I believe that although there are many things that separate us all, movies bring us together. Whether it be: ethnicity, gender, culture, moral upbringing, economic status etc. movies seem to supersede these borders. They can either show this conflict in a family-oriented manner like Remember the Titans or dire and realistic like American History X.

I believe that movies give us insight into our past, our present, and sometimes our future. There are historical movies such as Pearl Harbor, prevalent movies like The Kingdom, and movies like V for Vendetta that provide us a possible future.

I believe it doesn’t matter how big the audience is for you to take something away from a movie.

Whether it be in a large theater full of strangers or in the basement of your best friend’s house, for anywhere from one to three hours the audience sits quietly, reflecting as an aspect of culture plays itself out on screen. Whether the movie is puzzling like The Prestige or simple like Finding Nemo you can be sure long after the credits finish rolling discussions will be had. And even if there is no debate, lines from movies like Superbad can still strike up a conversation.

I believe that whether you be on the edge of your seat cheering for the battling Transformers, rolling in laughter watching American Pie, or in tears watching Forest Gump sending his boy off on his first day of school. Something in movies both touches and teaches us.

I believe in Movies.