I believe schools have lost sight of their purpose…

Kendall - west olive, Michigan

I believe that school no longer serves its original purpose; the purpose of encouraging students to learn and therefore improve their quality of life. It seems that that focus has been lost through all the new found methods and requirements that have been placed upon school systems. While these methods may have improved certain areas of education there are some things that have been lost in the changes. I can remember going in to school anxious to learn, want to answer questions and not caring if my answer was wrong. I, like most students, lost that passion for learning as I grew older. I still enjoyed certain classes that sparked my interest other classes

Students develop their interests in different subjects early on, and excel in those specific areas, but where does that leave the other subjects that they must study, and learn about? I enjoyed certain classes that sparked my interest, but other classes that were required for me, made me hate school each day. Forcing students to take classes that don’t interest them or that they probably will never use seems a waste of time and resources; if a student, like myself, knows that they are going to major in English, then why make them take chemistry? Seeing as how students generally know what they want to do by the time they are juniors in high school, they should be able to start focusing on classes that will actually help them in that area. This is something found quite normal in other schools around the world, and their education systems are often viewed as superior to ours. I can only think that forcing a student to take a class they do not care about, or do not really need takes away from the learning experience, and therefore it shouldn’t be done. If there is a class that serves no purpose in the student’s eyes, they will not work as hard in that class, and therefore not do as well, sparking a cycle of falling GPA’s as well as self-esteem. The worse one does in school the less they enjoy it.

I am by no means saying that schools should allow students to take whatever classes they think are fun. I believe that students should be allowed to take classes that focus more on the skills they will need in their future career. As for those students who don’t yet know what they want to do in life, allow them to take various courses to try and pique their interest, they know what they like, schools should help them find out what they can do with it. If schools offer more programs that allow students to explore their options rather than forcing them to take a class when they have no interest in it, there is a chance they could re-ignite the passion that students once had for learning. Schools need to re-examine their ideas, and purposes in the ways they teach. If it is to improve their students’ lives through knowledge, perhaps the knowledge should be something that will actually be put to use.