Life’s What You Make It.

Dan - Pleasant Hill, Iowa
Themes: purpose

I believe that success is in the eye of the beholder. When I was younger I used to always go and visit my great grandma. I would talk to her for an hour or so and when it was time to go she would always say something to me. She would look me in the eye and say, “Now you remember one thing: Your life can be anything you want it to be. Success is in the eye of the beholder.”

Now that I’ve grown up, I have started to realize more of what she is saying. She was a very hard-working person; she worked all her life and didn’t accept much from anyone. She refused to be put into a nursing home until she finally couldn’t do anything for herself. My great grandma died a year ago and that has made her advice even more powerful to me now. I know now that I control every part of my future and anything that I want to do in life is possible right now. Every morning I wake up and I realize today is another day that I need to work hard and do my best to get where I want to go.

“Success is in the eye of the beholder.” When I get older I want to go to college and be a doctor. I know that it will be a lot of work and it will take me a long time to do. But when it gets hard I will be able to look back to what my grandma used to tell me and it will help to get me through the day. In college, I will work as hard as I can to be successful and make it through. I hope that remembering her voice will help to push me when I am doing something that I really don’t want to do.

I know that anything I want to do with my life can happen. I am in the stage where I can shape my life. I know that all she was trying to tell me was that I had control of everything in my future. If I didn’t do things for myself, it would hurt me severely. I have to work as hard as I can to make a good life for myself and everyone around me. If I work really hard I can be successful.

“Success is in the eye of the beholder.” Those were the last words my great grandma ever said to me. I was really close to her, and she used to tell me a lot of good advice. As I have gotten older, I have learned to understand it a lot more. I also feel that following her advice will be the best way to honor her. Success is in the eye of the beholder.