Over the Pond

Brianna - Brighton, Colorado

When I was a little girl, my favorite thing to do was go to my grandparent’s house. Not like over the river and through the woods; more like flying over an entire ocean. You see, my grandparents lived in Ireland. They had a quiet farm in the middle of nowhere; the perfect place for my mind to blossom and grow. The first time I had gone there, I wasn’t quite old enough to differentiate between there and home. My family was there: that was where I belonged. I loved visiting because it was a whole new world. From the food my grandmother made, to the language they spoke in church. Everything was so different, so interesting. Now that I’m older, I realize just how fortunate I really am. Most kids hardly leave the state they were born in, let alone the country.

Growing up with family all over the globe, I now truly appreciate just how much is outside of my own everyday life. There was an entire world out there. Everything diversifies around the world: music, clothes, dancing, books, languages, and especially people. Americans understand how different America is from the world, but don’t truly grasp just how altered their life is compared to everyone else’s. Not everyone lives like people do in America. There are so many different ways of life.

There are so many things the world has to teach us, if only people are willing to learn. No matter what someone is interested in, they can always learn something from new cultures. One of my dreams is to travel the world. To me, there is nothing as important as new experiences. Growing up with knowledge from other places helped me become who I am today.

I believe everyone should have that knowledge. I believe in knowing about the world you live in.